- 50% of bullying incidents in elementary and middle school are based on gender or orientation slurs.
- 80% of youth harassed as gay identify as heterosexual.
- 90% of school shootings involve boys taunted with “anti-gay” epithets.
- Gay and transgender college students experience depression, suicidal thoughts 4x more frequently than heterosexual peers.
Youth as young as three years old start using “anti-gay” slurs to taunt and tease others. These harmful behaviors persist through all levels of education—elementary, middle, and high school, and beyond to college and university.
What motivates these behaviors? What can teachers, counselors, parents, and administrators do to keep all students safe?
YES Institute provides age-appropriate education to students and educators pre-K through university, addressing gender stereotypes and the source of bullying behaviors. Parent groups benefit from our educational dialogues, where they have an opportunity to voice their concerns and be part of designing solutions.
Administrators often take advantage of YES Institute’s consultation services when introducing policies around bullying prevention, gender transitioning, and student safety.
YES Institute has ongoing partnerships with public and private schools throughout Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties. Teachers and counselors who participate in our courses can earn Master Plan Points for their education certifications.
Some of our education partners:
- Teach for America
- City Year
- Miami Country Day School
- Palmer Trinity School
- The Cushman School
- Archimedean Academy
- Florida International University
- University of Miami
- Barry University
- Nova Southeastern University
If you would like to invite YES Institute to your school, please visit our Community Dialogues & Training page.