- Address fears and misinformation that lead to adverse outcomes for youth and adults impacted by the topics of gender and orientation.
- Review the major social movements of the last century that have rapidly redefined expectations for femininity and masculinity in today’s society.
- Recognize how the pervasive female/male binary construct affects perceptions, interactions, and equitable treatment for all people.
- Identify actions to create caring environments that accommodate the continuum of all young people’s experiences around gender and orientation.
- Review the latest knowledge on intersex bodies which brings new questions to our paradigm of how we define and assign biological sex.
- Examine the concept of transgender and assess the challenges faced by people who wish to pursue a gender transition.
- Critically analyze social and legal complexities resulting from the growing recognition of intersex and transgender human experiences.
- Utilize an opportunity to create action plans for youth and families impacted by these topics at the interpersonal and/or institutional levels of your organization.