YES Institute is taking a leadership role in increasing access to quality gender- and orientation-affirming healthcare.
- 31% suicide attempt rate among transgender youth and adults; 57% report being refused healthcare.
- 75% of medical schools in U.S. and Canada rated themselves “fair,” “poor,” or “very poor” on the integration of gender and orientation content in undergraduate medical school.
- Of 132 medical schools, 33% devoted no clinical training to covering health concerns of patients who identify as gay or transgender.
We aim to build a robust network of medical providers from all disciplines in South Florida who are equipped to fill the gaps in care that currently exist for patients pursuing a gender transition.
YES Institute is designing a 3-hour intensive educational workshop for medical providers that includes one hour related to cultural competency, one hour on medical knowledge/skills, and one hour of mock patient scenarios. We are committed that providers achieve a baseline of knowledge and skills that are critical for delivering gender-affirming healthcare.
We manage an online forum for medical professionals in Florida to connect with one another and share knowledge. To request access to this forum, please visit the Medical Roundtable Forum registration page.
YES Institute is also piloting an expansive 3-year educational initiative with Citrus Health Network, who has contracted with us to train their entire staff of 1,000+ staff. A component of this initiative involves detailed evaluation of policies, language, patient intake forms, and organizational and case consultation services.
We have ongoing partnerships with:
- Care Resource
- Citrus Health Network
- Miami VA Hospital
- Nicklaus Children’s Hospital
- Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital
- Memorial Regional Hospital
We are eager to partner with other networks and facilities. For more information, or to request an educational training for your staff, please visit our Training Request Form here.