Upcoming Dates & Registration Fees:
February 10, 2018 9am - 5pm
Adults - $170
Students - $100
Mental Health and Nursing Licensed Professionals - $220 for 8 CE Units
Florida Certification Board License Holders - $170 for 8 CE Units
After completing the Gender Continuum course, participants arrive at a new place of inquiry—often grappling with more questions than answers. The labels “gay,” “lesbian,” “bisexual,” and “heterosexual” have stood unexamined for a long time. These quick categorizations, succinct and finite, have cost us the opportunity to really learn about orientation. In the course, Deciphering Orientation, we pose the question, “What is orientation?”. Inquiry allows participants to uncover just how little we know the answer. The purpose of this course is to examine the concept of orientation so it can be understood for what it is, and what it is not.
In Deciphering Orientation, you will engage in reflective conversation on sexual orientation that analyzes popular concepts, real-life experiences, and the gap between the two. You will investigate the rapid changes in terminology used to label identities based on current concepts of orientation. You will explore the concept of transgender and gender transitioning youth and the risk factors facing this population. And you will learn about and explore developmental systems theory — a new theoretical perspective on biological development which includes and takes into account the continuum of genetics and environment. Go here for a full list of learning objectives for the Deciphering Orientation course.
Who should take this course:
- Youth and families confused about the proliferation of labels related to sexual orientation
- Faith leaders seeking research-based knowledge on orientation to support them in fielding concerns among community members
- Educators looking for accurate terminology and ways of conceptualizing orientation that can include all youth experiences
- Medical and mental health professionals who want to speak accurately and powerfully about sexual orientation when interacting with patients
- Business leaders who wish to adopt terminology around orientation that is truly inclusive
To get notified of our next course dates, subscribe to our list.